Sunday, August 06, 2006

Lutong Pinoy

Tag Category: Recipe
(Note: For non-Filipinos reading this entry, the title of my post means “food cooked the Filipino way.”)

I was feeling quite lazy this morning, I just wanted to lie in bed and sleep the whole day. But since today is Sunday, it was my turn to cook our meal. Hmmmm … what to do … what to do.

I looked at the refrigerator and searched for ingredients. I wasn’t feeling particularly creative today, I just wanted to prepare something quick and easy. I saw a pack (1 kilo) of jumbo hotdog. I decided to try out a very simple meal which I saw in some turo-turo. “Turo-turo” literally means “point-point” referring to a small cafeteria selling various meals catering to the C-D-E crowd where customers can just “point” to whatever meals they want to eat. The meals are supposed to be cheap, hence, turo-turo owners must be able to come up with simple meals which consists of cheap ingredients and are easy to cook so as not to consume a lot of electricity/LPG.

But I digress. I cooked the pack of hotdogs first, then sliced it and set it aside. Then in a wok, I heated 2 tsps. oil and sautéed some minced garlic and sliced onions. Once the onions became transparent, I put in some chicken liver. After a minute or two, I put the sliced hotdogs and 400 g. of tomato sauce (I used the UFC brand which is kinda sweet since Filipinos are not used to the traditional tomato sauce and prefer the sweet kind) and 2 cups chicken broth (plain water will suffice). I added some salt and pepper to taste. Finally, I put in 5 chopped chilis (the relleno, inferno hybrid or elephant trunk type
...not too hot) to give it some kick. Here is the finished product.

Believe it or not, my nephew and nieces loved it! Ubos na ubos. What Filipino child/pre-teen can resist any dish containing hotdogs? Hahaha! Uhhm, by the way, I have a confession to make. I cheated. I was too lazy to cook some more so I asked Manang Anita to cook nilagang baka (beef and vegetable soup) and fried tofu.

With the rising costs of energy and gasoline, people from walks of life, and not only Filipinos, must come up with ways on how to survive on a very limited budget.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those hotdogs look good Ladybug! I think I'll ask Honey to cook that for me. :)

Oh BTW, I posted something in the Cafe Breton post but it got lost somehow. :(

ladybug said...

Thanks toe! Sa bahay pa naman, basta hotdog, kahit anong luto...ubos! Hahaha!
With regard to the Cafe Breton comment, it's alright. When you get back to Manila, let's eat there with Patty. :-)

Anonymous said...

I thought UFC is a banana ketchup, not tomato. Anyways, that really was some creative cooking, your hubby is one lucky man. A lot of career women these days don't like to cook, if they can even cook at all....

Sidney said...

Simple food is often delicious.

ladybug said...

Hi snglguy! You'll be surprised... UFC does not only market banana ketchup, they also have tomato sauce, vinegar and soy sauce (i'm not sure about lechon sauce though). And thanks for the nice comment. I'll tell hubby about what you said. :-) I learned how to cook after I had a mild stroke at the age of 29.

ladybug said...

Hi sidney! Yup..I agree...the simple things in life often bring us the most joy. Thanks for dropping by! :-)

Anonymous said...

So that's the recipe! I tried making this dish years ago and it wasn't as big a hit as I expected...mine was totally different. Thanks for sharing your recipe...

ladybug said...

Hi mita! Well, I'm not sure if this is the exact recipe. But this is my version. :-) I hope it suits your taste though. I liked your recipe for squash curry. Will definitely try it out this Saturday.