Saturday, July 22, 2006

My Recipe for Bolognese

For the first time in many weeks, I found myself without anything to do on a Saturday. No badminton tournaments to watch my hubby play or to assist him in officiating. So, I decided to cook Bolognese. This is my first time to cook this dish although in the past, I’ve tried to cook lasagna which also consists of ground beef and tomato sauce.

Fortunately, my Bolognese was a hit among my nephew and nieces. Here is a picture of this dish, followed by my recipe which I’ve revised since some ingredients are not readily available in Philippine supermarkets.

2 tsps. olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 small whole onion, minced
I lb. ground beef
I small can tomato paste
1 cup beef broth
500 g. tomato sauce (can add more, depending on your taste)
1 small can of champignon mushroom, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. basil
1/3 cup of all-purpose cream (to lighten the color)
1 lb. pasta (either penne or spaghetti)

Heat the oil in a large wok, add the garlic and onion and cook until the garlic is lightly browned and the onion becomes transparent. Add the ground beef and cook for about 20 minutes or until the beef turns brown. You can add the broth if the beef dries up. Then add the tomato paste and the tomato sauce. Add the seasonings. Add the cream at the end in order to lighten the color. Serve sauce over hot pasta. Enjoy!
Tag Category: Recipe

4 comments:

JMom said...

Hi ladybug! My pasta eating daughters would love this sauce! it really sounds delicious. Wish we could taste all the dishes on Lasang Pinoy events :)

ladybug said...

Thanks jmom! I left out a lot of the Italian ingredients are they are not easily available here. I just made the simplest version I could. I'm glad the kids at home loved it. I'm sure your daughters would love it too! Thanks for dropping by.

Lani said...

Thank you for joining LP12. I will definitely try your recipe, thanks for sharing.

ladybug said...

lani> the pleasure was mine. :-) Thanks for dropping by!