Saturday, October 20, 2007

Bloody Friday - Glorietta 2 Mall Explosion

It's been barely 22 hours since the Glorietta explosion and I'm still shaken from the incident.


You see, my friend invited me out for lunch yesterday, and since I was tired of eating bland cafeteria food every single day (well, except for weekends nga pala), I readily agreed. I even picked out the place, A Veneto at Glorietta 3. So, at around 12:20 in the afternoon, my friend and I were catching up on gossip over onion rings and great pasta. After having lunch, I told her I had to buy some stuff from The Face Shop. While inside, we even had to ask for directions because I forgot how to go there.

After buying my things, my friend then requested if we could go a sports store since she wanted to buy a basketball. I suggested Toby's. So, at 1:15 P.M., there we were at the ground floor of Glorietta 2 near the activity center, right where the bomb was about to explode, looking up at the establishments on the 3rd Floor, trying to locate Toby's. We couldn't find Toby's. I knew it had to be visible from the ground floor. I told my friend, maybe Toby's was directly above us, on the third floor of Glorietta 2 so we couldn't see it from where we were. So, we decided to go up.

True enough, when we were on the third floor of Glorietta 2, we were able to find Toby's. I told my friend to go there and make her purchase, while I would be browsing at the tiangge stores right outside. I was looking at the latest fashionable blouses, muttering to myself that I would never be able to pull them off. I still tried on one blouse, but to no avail. Hindi talaga bagay...shucks.

I received a text message from my friend at around 1:25 P.M., telling me that she was near Timezone waiting for me, but urging me to take my time. Immediately after I got her text, I tried to locate her. Not able to find her, I decided to call her up.

Just when the phone was ringing, I heard a very loud explosion nearby coupled with a very intense shake which felt like an Intensity 10 earthquake. I almost fell to the ground because of the impact! I felt like I was in twilight zone or something, as I watched debris falling everywhere and smoke billowing from behind. Suddenly, people were screaming and shouting and pushing me. I had no choice but to follow the crowd. I began to wonder whether my friend was safe and as I was about to call her up, I heard what seemed like another explosion. I froze for a second, terrified, not knowing where to go. At that very second, I felt terror grip my body, wondering if there were still several bombs about to go off, and wondering if we were running headlong into another bomb. I don't know how my legs were able to function but before I knew it, I was walking straight into Landmark.

Thankfully, the guards removed the table and opened the doors wide in order to receive the big crowd emanating from Glorietta 2. As I stepped into what felt like safe ground, I received a call from my friend asking me where I was. I was relieved upon hearing her voice knowing that at least she was OK. I told her I was at Landmark and not to worry about me. I called up my husband to tell him what happened. Fortunately he was just nearby and that he would pick me up immediately. I couldn't contact my friend anymore since the network (Globe) was already busy. Good thing there was no traffic in sending text messages. After texting her and knowing she was ok, and that her driver was about to pick her up, it was only at that moment that I suddenly felt relieved.

Whew! Close call indeed. Had the bomb gone off earlier or later than it did, I don't know what would have happened to us. I really thank the Lord and my Angel Raphael for bringing us back to safety. It is so sad that others were not as lucky.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ate!

I'm so glad that you escaped unharmed. Talaga!

HUGS!

The idea of to cause an explosion in a mall is totally crazy and I hope these people will be caught and receive severe punishment.

vernaloo said...

That was close Ladybug...thank God nothing bad happened to you.

SOmetimes we feel so secure because we are inside a mall but you really can't tell. Glorietta will never be the same.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! You were there pala! I was hoping nga that no one I know was there since most people I know often go to Glorietta (myself included when I was still in Manila). It's really a good thing that you have an angel looking over you.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, so there really were two explosions as was reported by some. Grabeh!

It must have been the most horrifying experience for you, Ladybug. Glad to know you and your friend made it out of the building, safe and sound.

But my heart go out to those whose lives were suddenly taken away from them, and for what? It's really senseless... :-(

Anonymous said...

Oh btw, hope you don't mind, I linked this entry to my earlier entry on the Glorietta blast..

vic said...

Very Sad and feel very bad for all innocent victims and those who will be feeling the post trauma syndrome long before the rest of the world forget the heinous crime. Your angel have been watching over you ladybug, that we are all glad for you getting out safe...

ladybug said...

kyels> Thank you very much! *HUGS!* I felt lucky to get out of there alive....traumatized, but still alive. The perpetrators didn't care that a lot of innocent individuals will get hurt. So sad really.

ladybug said...

verns> Close call talaga...grabe! I always felt safe inside the malls, esp. Glorietta. I agree, now Glorietta will never be the same.

ladybug said...

toe> I know...Friday kasi kaya ansarap kumain sa labas. Some of my friends were also there but they left just before the incident happened. I really thank my angel for looking after his mommy.

ladybug said...

snglguy> The second explosion was not as loud as the first, or it could have been the sound of something heavy falling to the ground. We can never really tell until the results of the investigations are in. But it was truly horrifying. Plus, at that moment, I felt numb from fear that more bombs were about to explode. I didn't know if I was gonna reach the exit alive, or if the structure was about to give way because of the intense explosion. Grabe talaga. I can still hear the sound of the explosion in my head. Malling will never be the same.

It's ok snglguy, you can link to this entry. By the way, thanks for your concern. Naalala mo pa na mahilig akong magpunta sa Glorietta.

ladybug said...

vic> I really feel sad for the innocent victims. Just now, while watching T.V., I cried upon seeing the loved ones they left behind crying upon seeing their lifeless bodies. Thanks for you concern. I really feel that angel Raphael saved his mommy from harm.

ipanema said...

Oh dear, that was really close. Better not go out for lunch for awhile huh?

It's good to read that you and your friend are safe. But it will take a while for the shock to go.

be well!

Happy Sunday! :)

Wenchie said...

Hi Ladybug, that was really a close call. Thank God you're ok. Your guardian angel saved you.

carlotta1924 said...

omigoodness, that was really close! thank God you got out of there safely.

zherwin said...

whew, that was close, good thing you are okey. let's just hope and pray that a similar thing will not happen again, kawawa naman yung mga biktima.

Anonymous said...

Thank God you're safe, Ladybug. No place is safe these days.

Anonymous said...

My God, that must have been a terrifying experience. But thank God, and yes, thank your little angel you were not hurt. So close, indeed!

I have posted a prayer today for bereaved families of the victims. Hope other bloggers follow suit to offer prayers.

God bless, Ladybug...

Anonymous said...

Grabe na talaga sa atin no? And to think I though Glorietta can be a very safe place.

Anonymous said...

Thank God.

Mabilis lang talaga ang buhay ng tao sa mundo ano?

ladybug said...

ipanema> Thanks for the concern. For me, it will really take a while. I still jump at the sound of firecrackers going off.

ladybug said...

rowena> Close call indeed. I am really thankful to the Lord and my guardian angel. THanks!

ladybug said...

carlotta> Thanks for the concern! And thanks for passing by. :-)

ladybug said...

zherwin> I really hope that this kind of incident doesn't happen again. Kawawa talaga yung mga biktima. DOble ingat din dapat tayong lahat. Thanks for the concern!

ladybug said...

lazarus> No place is safe talaga. And I thought that it would never happen to Glorietta. This is a very important lesson for all of us. Thanks for the concern!

ladybug said...

rhodora> Thanks for the prayers and the concern. Good thing your son wasn't there.

ladybug said...

rey> Yes, grabe na talaga sa Pinas. I just hope this doesn't happen again. Thanks for the concern!

ladybug said...

myepinoy> Thanks for the concern. Grabe, I don't think the people who were killed woke up that morning expecting something like this to happen to them. Hay buhay.

Anonymous said...

oh my! I am glad that you are fine. It was a real close call talaga!